About the Course (delivered by CNM in London and Manchester)
About the Course
Herbs for Everyday Living – a short evening course in herbal medicine
Using herbs in your life may be the key to vibrant health and wellbeing. With so many herbs to choose from, the subject can be overwhelming without professional assistance. Herbs for Everyday Living gives an introduction to Western herbal medicine and naturopathic traditions, to gain a better understanding of the most common and exciting everyday herbs to use as medicines and as foods. This course gives you this knowledge to make herbs accessible and uncomplicated for all.
As an introductory level course, we welcome anyone with an interest in herbs and plants, whether a long-term passion, or a new curiosity.
This course is for you if you’d like to know:
- How the herbs in your kitchen cupboard, or growing in your garden or park, could be used for more than cooking
- Which herbs and foods can be used to support optimal health, for common everyday complaints, or to support different life stages such as childhood, pregnancy or the menopause
- What the herbal medicines or herbal foods you see in shops can safely be used for
- How to make herbal preparations for yourself, friends, and family
- How to safely cleanse and detoxify using herbs and food, and how to support different organs
- How to choose one herb over another for different people and situations
Key features of the course
- Build your own reference library on common herbs, their history, where they grow and their safe usage
- Gain a deeper understanding of the medicinal use of kitchen herbs, for example, oregano, or cloves
- Make your own herbal teas/herbal tinctures, using herbal powders, and make your own capsules
- Make your own herbal first-aid kit
- Learn about:
- Super foods and sprouts for vitality
- Using herbs to optimize areas of your life and body. For example: energy, sleep, and mood
- Herbal remedies for common illnesses and ailments, e.g. colds / coughs, arthritis, cholesterol, and more
- Safe cleansing for vital organs and systems (for example the liver, the lymphatic system)
- Herbs for women’s health, fertility, pregnancy, children’s health, menopause, and male health
- Naturopathic techniques such as skin brushing and castor oil packing
- Enjoy a summer’s day tour of The Royal Botanical gardens at Kew, with Master Herbalist Jill Davies (optional, not included in course fee).
This course is taught in an interactive, fun and friendly style to make anyone feel welcome, however limited or vast their existing knowledge. No formal qualifications or experience is required. Students will have the chance to work in groups in class under the lecturer’s supervision to devise herbal, naturopathic and nutritional advice for common ailments and conditions.
In session 8 we demonstrate about 7-8 herbal recipes on the evening, bringing alive the herbal formula’s that have been taught during the 12 week course. Students will have little tasters and be able to take away 1-2 samples as well.
Who should come on this course?
Our students range from those with no background in health (e.g. lawyers, housewives) and healing to those who work in or have studied other types of complementary medicine (e.g. aromatherapists, nutritional therapists), and even those trained in conventional/allopathic medicine (nurses, midwives and doctors).
This course complements CNM’s other short courses, such as Nutrition for Everyday Living, and Natural Skincare, and is an ideal introduction to the benefits of natural health and using herbs for yourself or your family. If you are thinking of training for a new career in herbal medicine, please ask about our diploma courses, which equip students for a successful career in their chosen natural therapy.
What our student’s say
“The practical session was really good & made it all look really easy!” -T.M.
“I really have enjoyed these lectures. The pace is just right with lots of sound and practical applications” -W.B.
“The abundance of knowledge that has been given through notes and teaching; Lorna is brilliant and her passion has really inspired the class. There aren’t any questions she can’t answer!” -C.C.
“It’s very practical and easy to understand, I’m enjoying every single second.” -V.Z.
“Covered a wide range of topics – thoroughly enjoyed it!” -J.M.
“Every single class was fantastic and I enjoyed Lorna’s lessons” -S.D.
“Lots of study sheets and also loads of samples. Fun and energetic tutor!” A. Z.
“I find the course very informative, practical, re-assuring and useful. Thank you!” T.F.
“It was just what I hoped for and more, everything that I am interested in, so I learnt a lot and have new motivation for recipes and eating better.”
“The lecturer is outstanding. Her enthusiasm for the subject was infectious and has encouraged me to go on and study further.”
“I enjoyed every minute of Lorna Driver Davies’ Herbs for Everyday Living course. It is a wonderful mixture of herbology, nutrition, general medical advice, anatomy, biology and many other topics. Lorna knows her subject inside out and her specific knowledge and understanding of how our bodies function really puts your average GP to shame. This course is extremely easy to take and I learnt loads. Never a dull moment”
No prior study required
- CNM Certificate in Herbs for Everyday Living
Study Programmes and Locations
London Study Programme
Wednesday evenings (12 sessions) 6.30pm – 8.30pm
*There is an option to join at the start of any module. Course fee includes all 3 modules. If starting late, students do other modules with next scheduled intake.
The next start date is 29th April 2015.
|Herbs and Nutrition||Wed 6:30 – 8:30pm||4th February – 25th February 2015|
|Herbs in Daily Life||Wed 6:30 – 8:30pm||4th March – 25th March 2015|
|Stages of Life||Wed 6:30 – 8:30pm||1st April – 22nd April 2015|
|Herbs and Nutrition||Wed 6:30 – 8:30pm||29th April – 20th May 2015|
|Herbs in Daily Life||Wed 6:30 – 8:30pm||27th May – 17th June 2015|
|Stages of Life||Wed 6:30 – 8:30pm||24th June – 15th July 2015|
- £345 (for 12 session course)
CNM, 41 Riding House Street, London W1W 7BE (Tube: Oxford Circus) Location Map (opens in new window)
Manchester Study Programme
2 Weekends (4 sessions) 10.00am – 6.00pm
The next start date is 6th June 2015.
|Weekend 1||Sat/Sun 10.00 – 6:00pm||6th June – 7th June 2015|
|Weekend 2||Sat/Sun 10.00 – 6:00pm||20th June – 21st June 2015|
- £345 (for 2 weekend course)
Manchester Conference Centre and The Pendulum Hotel, 78 Sackville Street, Manchester, M1 3BBLocation Map (opens in new window)
- CNM Certification